Monday, April 25, 2011

When Good Stuff Happens

In my previous blog "Stuff Happens," I detailed the plumbing disaster at our house. In the midst of that craziness, I heard something very non-chaotic. I had asked the Queen to entertain the Boss while Dad and I cleaned. She had grabbed a book and was reading to the Boss. He was riveted. I was impressed.

As a teacher, I always stress the importance of reading. As a mother, I struggle to find the time. Still when parents ask me how to improve their child's reading fluency, I tell them to read and read often. I tell my students that you can't be a star football player sitting on the bench. You have to practice. The same is true about reading. Great readers...read.
My Five Tips for Developing Great Readers
  1. It is never too early to start. No, they don't know the words...yet. They do love cuddling and listening to your voice though, so don't discount the good reading ju ju you are creating.
  2. If your child doesn't like one book, try, try another genre. Children each have their own style and their books should reflect that. The Queen loves mysteries, but the Monkey loves princesses and scary stories (preferably together). Who knew?
  3. Don't stop the read aloud when your child can read. A child can listen on a higher level than they can read. Imagine the great discussions not to mention the stellar vocabulary development. Remember you are your child's most important teacher. For more on reading aloud, check out Jim Trelease's Home Page or enjoy an excerpt from Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook
  4. Illicit the help of older siblings (if they are willing) when reading to younger ones. You will enjoy the hands free time, the younger child likes the positive attention from big brother or sister, and the older child is getting more practice. It's a winning situation.
  5. Always be sure to have plenty of reading material. We have books and magazines stashed all over the house, but our favorite place to go for books is the public library. You can't beat free! Check out your local public library. The trip is free, the cost is zero, and the kids will thank you.
For more fun facts visit Ten Facts Parents Should Know About Reading by Jim Trelease.

Try these sites for great lists to get you started:

Notes From the Boss

I listened to the Queen, and I was inspired. I decided to try out that reading thing myself. The only thing I had handy was Mom's LL.Bean catalog. I figured why not. Mom started reading on a Sears catalog. My conclusion, interesting information and tasty illustrations, but it didn't hold up to multiple readings. I think I might try something sturdier next time. Maybe I should pick up one of those board books Mom keeps on the bookshelf in the hallway. Now, I just got to figure out how to get to the hallway. Hmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment